Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Friday, October 1, 2010

Big, Big Owie :(

We've had quite an eventful week with our little Noah. Poor dude will be sporting a bright orange cast for the next 4 weeks because of a fractured tibia. It all began on Tuesday evening, right after bath when Andy was taking the kids downstairs. He was carrying Noah in his arms & holding on to Bella's hand when somehow, they missed a step and fell. He says it all happened so fast, he doesnt even remember exactly WHAT happened but he said both kids were crying and a bit shaken up afterwards & it took a little bit to calm them down. Unfortunately, I was not home at the time and by the time I got home from working out, both kids were in bed. Andy had NO idea Noah's leg was broken & once he was calmed down, he stuck him to bed. I did hear Noah stirring a little bit more than normal on the monitor overnight but it was nothing abnormal & he didnt stir/whimper for more than 30 seconds at a time so I really didnt get up to check on him.

I went to get him on Wed morning and I noticed he wasnt standing up in the crib and I thought that was a little strange but didnt really think much of it and then when I went to change his diaper, he screamed in pain & that's when I knew something was wrong. I took him downstairs and tried to make him stand/walk and he wouldnt so I immediately called our pediatrician to get him an appt. So we dropped Bella off with our neighbor & off we went to the pedi. Once there, they sent us to get some Xrays at CHOA so we drove there, took the xray and then was sent home & told to call our pedi in 3 hours, they should have the results by then. I was like, "really? we need to wait THREE hours to find out what's wrong??" I guess they email the xrays to a radiologist who looks at them and then calls our pedi. So after 2 hrs, I was getting antsy and called our pedi to see if they had results and within 5 mins, they called back, saying he had fractured his tibia (the big bone that connects the knee to the ankle). When Andy slipped, he must have landed right on Noah's poor leg - it all happened so fast, he didnt even know that had happened the night before. Sooo, off to get a cast for the little guy and we had to wait an hour in the waiting room alone. It was so tough to keep Noah still & he wanted to get down soooo bad. Luckily I brought along the laptop to entertain him with The Wiggles while we waited. So back we went & the process of putting the cast on was really quite simple & quick. Neither Andy or I have ever broken anything so we had no idea what to expect but he wrapped Noah in that cast so fast & it dried within minutes - it was pretty neat! So we stuck with orange, in honor of Halloween & some of our favorite sports teams - the Gators, Dolphins and Andy's Browns. Noah really was a trooper through all of it - Andy and I kept joking that we were so glad it was Noah who broke something and not Bella bc she would have been way too much drama for us to handle, LOL!

Of course Andy feels absolutely terrible about the whole thing and has been beating himself up so bad. I keep telling him that accidents happen and there is no way to prevent these things and we just have to move on...besides, he looks super cute in the cast, lol! I hate to make light of a bad situation but he does looks adorable! I still can't believe the poor babe slept allll night with a broken leg and we didnt even know it, I feel so horrible about that, breaks my heart. He seriously is such a tough guy - he's slept through the night the past 2 nights as well so I'm very thankful he doenst seem to be in much pain from this, esp now that the cast is on. He has been getting frustrated when he can't seem to get where he's going but he's starting to crawl around & he will stand up, when holding onto something. I'm still waiting for him to figure out how to walk in the cast so it'll make things a lot easier on me. My left arm is about to fall off bc I've held him so much the past 2 days. You take for granted how independent they become once they start walking, lol! Here are some pics of the little pumpkin :)

waiting to get his cast on...
his newest accessory ;)
back home & trying to figure out what this thing is on his leg...
Daddy holding onto his sweet boy...
the next day - happy & content watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse...
see, these casts arent so bad afterall!


No comments: